The Labuan Clock Tower is an exact replica of the original clock tower built in 1906 by Chee Swee Cheng, a tycoon and philanthropist from Malacca and the first chairman of the Overseas Chinese Banking Corporation (OCBC Bank).
Intense naval bombardments by the Allied forces completely devastated Victoria, the capital. The Clock Tower at one time embellished the facade of the town hall of which nothing remained standing after the bombardment.
Donald Friend, who served as an official war artist for the Australian Army, wrote in his diary on 20 June 1945 of the area surrounding the Clock Tower:
“To the town, sketching all morning, with some interesting results. One could spend a couple of months here drawing nothing but the ruins…much of the town has been cleared up – great rubble heaps removed”.
The British administration demolished the clock tower in 1948 and there were no attempts to rebuild it. In 2002, the Labuan authorities reconstructed this beautiful and historical clock tower with funding from Malaysia’s Ministry of Tourism.
The Labuan Clock Tower’s gongs and bells chime every hour, on the hour, so a good time to visit would be around noon. The tower is also decoratively lit at night.